Sunday, May 17, 2009

RFKC - Royal Family Kids Camp

About a month and a half ago Val and I were on the couch watching Tyra Banks (fyi, I do not usually watch her, I swear!). Her and Rosie O'Donnell were working with kids in the foster system and it totally blew me away. The show lasted about an hour and I was glued to the TV and ended up watching the whole thing. Much respect to both these ladies for opening my eyes to a world of kids that are all around me.

After the show I told Val how much I wanted to work with foster kids and kept wondering how to get involved. Little did I know that God in His awesomeness would bring something our way about 2 days later. I get a call from my mom telling me a girl who works with her was wondering if Valerie and I would be interested in being counselors for a week with an organization known as Royal Family Kids Camp. I am still in awe at how amazing God is at putting these opportunities in front of us sometimes. Nobody except Valerie knew I had even mentioned wanting to do this.

Royal Family Kids Camp is an organization that has camps nationally (and some overseas) that give abused and neglected children in the foster care system a week they will never forget. It really is all about the kids and I cannot even describe how excited I am to build relationships with these kids the week we have together. Unfortunately state law prohibits any contact with these kids after the camp. You can not bring a camera, have any pictures of the kids, exchange addresses, emails, etc. As you can imagine I was super bummed to find out I would not be able to bring my camera. What it made me realize is that I need to leave a lasting impression on these kids the one week we have together. Many of these kids have grown up with adults who simply do not care. Many of these kids have been neglected, sexually abused, told they are worthless and will never amount to anything. While I can't change what has happened in their past I hope God will provide me with the wisdom and strength to show these kids they are truly loved and can accomplish anything they set their minds to. While I am sure this will be a life changing experience for them, I know that this one, very short week will change me as a person forever.

While I would love to go to Africa, South America, and other countries to help poverty-stricken children (it is a goal one day) - I have realized there are also kids who, for all I know, are down the street from me equally in need.

We have taken the first day of training and are leaving in June for a week to be a light to these kids. Pray that God will use both Valerie and I in lasting ways that we may never know.
Add me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

1 comment:

Chrissy Aguiar said...

My son, it is with tears in my eyes that i sit to send this to you. You are so wonderful and God is using you in ways that you do not even comprehend yet. Just keep saying yes to Him and He will lead and guide your path. His ways are always best and that you are seeking to be a blessing to His children, you WILL be forever changed by this opportunity. I love you so very much. Love Mom